Sunday, October 4, 2020

Autumn has arrived

   Amazing frost patterns on a car hood.

TODAY we had a hard frost; a chilly walk with my sister Pam. (Sunday, October 4, 2020)

It is a reflective time and a retrospective time for me as I continue to work on some pieces of art. 

Ideas come and they all take time along with questioning to put together into art pieces.  Working on one at the moment for submission to Center for Visual Arts in Wausau exhibit on Up Rooted, I had flashbacks to many Up Rooted times for me in New York City, in Greensboro, in North Dakota, in Minnesota, in DeKalb, in Madison, and here in Stevens Point.  In being Up Rooted in New York City (moving there in the 70s from the Midwest - a bit of a culture shock),  I felt displaced and trying to settle in an unsettled place that was always alive 24 hours a day.  So I decided to create a watercolor of the place I lived in for two years in Greenwich village, a half block from Washington Square Park.  I spent many hours working by the window on the third floor looking out watching the street life that passed by.  We'll see if it gets selected for the exhibit.  

Enjoying teaching with the art faculty at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, I am in their adjunct pool as a retired professor emerita and listed on their website.  It was an unusual time for me teaching this last spring with the COVID shut down, mostly online, but all of my students made it through the course fine.

I did get a piece of art accepted into the New York Studio School Alumni Show this summer, and it brought back memories of being an "artist" in New York City at one time.  Now I have some art in a show in New York City (over 40 years later . . . . .  oh my).  Artsy website also posted the alumni show art piece for the Burgos Cathedral Window.

 Also I have some work selected for the Riverfront Arts Center in Stevens Point for the September/Ocober Black, White & Gray exhibit.  These were two more art pieces inspired by my 500 mile walk across Spain on the Camino Frances.  The arts center FaceBook site posted one of my works, Sculpture on the Medieval Church in Portomarin, Spain.

During this time of staying in place, we have had more slow time to spend with the natural world around us, and the color and images never stop to amaze me.  I have also enjoyed very much the Farmers CSA boxes this summer and fall.  The vegetables and fruit are full of their care, and one of the farmer's is a former student of mine from London Semester Abroad (he wrote a POST about traveling with me there in 2013).  Memories of good times.

So back to sketching. . . . . .   Looking forward to the next World Wide Sketchcrawl on October 24. SketchCrawl LINK (It is neat to see work from around the world that is sketched on that day).


 

Mistaken Reality can be Deadly (window reflections)

Up Rooted times, working in art during  the time of COVID.

Trying to Settle in an Unsettled Place NYC 10011

Reflections on an Up Rooted moment in the past.








No comments:

Post a Comment